77 - A God, Resolving

Lin

So I have blown all of my money trying to get rich.

The voldys really put the idea of lack into my brain whilst stealing my money from underneath me.

It's my New Year's resolution now to earn plenty if money so that I can afford my lifestyle, and afford the kind of life that I want.

I know I can win. I mean, I won £5 on the Thunderball draw last night, and I won £3 on Forest of Fortune, even if I did blow it all. Things must be changing somehow if I'm actually winning.

They say that money talks, but wealth whispers.

So I'm going to keep my most specific goals to myself.

Luckily now, I don't have to worry about food, as I ordered a load of stuff from FieldGoods, that should tide me over for the next week or so.

Unfortunately my shipment isn't meant to come in until the 4th, so I'll have to make do until then. Which I probably can. I've had to live with less than what I have now before. 

Today, if I find the energy, I want to make a roast to celebrate the New Year.

I don't really celebrate Christmas in the same way that I used to, so I want to celebrate New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with decent food, at least.

I do wonder what 2023 will bring.

It's certainly going to be interesting. I might light a candle to ask for the truth today. We'll see what happens.

You'll get the truth.

Aletheia!

She smiles gracefully.

I see you are struggling.

I sigh, nodding.

It's been a rough few months.

And you've been alone physically for a considerable amount of it.

Well, I do tend to isolate myself.

True.

She places a light blue candle in my hand.

On the edge of the parting between years, light this candle and invoke me. You will then get the answers you seek.

Thank you.

I reach out to hug her, and she accepts. She smells like honey, and home.

You rarely come out here, especially towards New Year's. Usually people are very willing to lie at this time of year, so what's so urgent that you needed to leave Olympus to see me?

For a minute, she looks vulnerable. But she rolls her shoulders in a similar way to how I do when I brace for something, and responds.

The truth pool has been cloudy recently. I think one of the fake Norns decided to mess with it before rickmansworth's people got kicked out.

Liv.

That bitch is asking to be punched.

I know, but it doesn't mean that you should seek her out. 

Time is used to uncover the truth, so I need something that is clean spiritually pertaining to time that I can use to keep the pool clean.

So that's why you came here - in order to be able to do the job for me in the first place.

It's about time both you and everyone else knew the truth.

I nod, reaching into my offerings pile, and yank out a brass and gold pocketwatch encrusted with aquamarine.

The aquamarine should clean the pool well enough, but remember to put the watch into some silver nitrite, then rinse with water when you're done.

Oh, and, wear a mask when you're doing that. It's toxic to anyone without immunity to it.

Like yourself and Terrence?

Yep. Don't tell anyone what it's for unless they reveal themself to be friendly by knowing the code. Even then, be careful.

I will be. Besides, I know when someone lies.

Fair point. I probably shouldn't be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs.

She laughs.

Nah. You're just looking out for me. Sometimes distinguishing can be confusing anyway because you're having to sift through what people believe and what's actually true. 

It's a tiring job.

Yup. But I enjoy it. I get all the tea.

Now it's my turn to giggle.

Gods I missed you and your honesty.

I think the whole Sim has probably missed it.

People seem to like lies a lot right now.

They can be good, but like, choose your moments?

Besides, even what looks like the absolute truth can be a huge lie. It's important to keep stock of what is real.

You're right.

Athena waves from the other side of the nemeton, and Aletheia waves back.

Truth?

Yup.

Brilliant.

Did you have a good nap?

She cackles.

It's Tavi and Atlas' faults. Damned glow shrimp.

So it's just you, Tavi and Manny now?

Yeah. Atlas went to see our cousin and her daughter.

Yeah, I figured. He'll have a good time, I think.

Same here. Are you not staying?

Nah. I need to clean the truth pool.

Ahhh. Well, I won't disturb you any more. You go and get that done, and I'll see you when I get back after Epiphany.

That's a rather long stay.

I have a priest I need to stay with for a while.

She grins, and winks at me.

Of course. Both of you take care.

And you, Ale!

Keep safe, cousin!

We both exchange looks and smile.

I'll get you back for the glow shrimp.

I snort.

I take that as a challenge.

She shakes her head, and mellows into a more serious expression.

You should go and eat, Tavi. You're already stressed out enough as it is.

She's right.

Alright. You want to watch Daredevil?

Sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 - A God, Reaching

266 - A God, Green

300 - A God, Shedding