218 - A God, Home

Lin

It's been quiet today.

My day started relatively late, though my body did decide to try and wake me up at 6am.

Some of my neighbour's friends were talking really loudly as well.

Frankly, I would've loved to knock on the ceiling with a broom handle to get them to shut the fuck up. (Not that I'd be tall enough to do that because of how high my ceiling is. Besides, I don't even own a broom. Perhaps I should.)

Tomorrow, mercifully, is Monday.

Even if I don't see my caseworker, I'm having a therapy session in the evening over zoom, so that should help somewhat.

Honestly, I am scared though.

Part of me worries that the housing association will keep thinking that it's ok to leave me on my own (it isn't), as it's unclear what they're prioritising over me.

Now, that may very well end up changing tomorrow, but my worst nightmare is that I'll just be forgotten in this house, doomed to rot forever.

Like the scene in Meet The Robinsons, that shows what happens to Michael when his life as Lewis' roommate causes him to be abandoned in one timeline.

I'm not going to let that happen.

Arms gently wrap around my shoulders, and Terrence's cologne wafts into my nostrils.

Do you want to go elsewhere?

I nod.

Mar plij.

Rubbing my shoulders, I feel one of his hands run down my arm to take my hand.

Let's go.

Where are we off to?

He smiles, leading me out of the nemeton.

It's a surprise.

My father's chariot sits outside, unicorns standing in formation. I raise an eyebrow.

Family outing.

You'll see.

Gods, the suspense is killing me. I give the best puppy eyes I possibly can, which is easy, given my large eyes, and he cackles.

I love you, m'amoûr, but I'm keeping quiet.

He ruffles my hair.

Wait? For me?

I nod, finding myself smiling despite being brushed off.

*******

Taranis

As Lin and Terrence approach the chariot, I smile. Lin's going to like this surprise.

You ready?

They both nod, and Lin climbs in, followed by Terrence. The unicorns whinny slightly at the weight, and one of them, Cartli, nickers at Lin.

I think she wants attention.

Myself and Terrence exchange looks, and he nods. For a minute, Lin hops off, and goes to stroke Cartli, who snorts in pleasure. 

Do they know?

Terrence smirks.

No. But they will once we get there.

Keeping it mysterious, are we?

Of course. They haven't been there in ages.

I nod. 

Alright. I'll keep schtum.

Trugarez.

As our conversation ends, Lin hoists themself back into the chariot, beaming.

She's satisfied. We off?

Both myself and Terrence nod, and I jog the reins. The unicorns all begin to float, pulling the carriage along with them.

*******

Terrence

As we ride, Lin watches the view with a sense of awe. I always love it when they're like this - their sense of joy is contagious.

It's wonderful.

How long are we flying for?

I grin.

Ah, but if I told you that, wouldn't it ruin the surprise?

They mirror my grin.

Well, your reasoning got me there.

They rest their head on my shoulder, and all feels right with the universe. I love them, more than I could ever say - and if I can make them happy, even if it's just for a day, I want to do that. 

We ride over the sea, and Lin's face is a picture.

Wait a minute...

They smicker.

I know the smell of this sea.

Of course they do. That's their selkie senses coming out.

We're going over the Channel...

They squint in thought, and it's adorable.

Breizh?

I can't help it. I nod.

Their face breaks into further beaming.

You both listened to me.

And... they've figured it out.

Trugarez, both of you.

*******

Lin

This really isn't a dream.

You're taking me to Penmarc'h...

Da nods.

Yup. You need a taste of home again.

Where in the area do you want to go?

I don't need to think about it.

Plage du Stêr.

No wonder Terrence kept it a secret. That was the place that he first saw me after we were separated by world - and where he first remembered me again. He knew I'd cried about wanting to go home, but also knew that our love could overpower that loneliness. 

And, ever surprisingly, it has.

We land on the beach, stars studding the sky, the sea calling me. I jump off the chariot, and make a break for the waves. I lob my shoes and socks off, roll up my jeans and wade into the ocean, exclaiming at the cold temperature.

Terrence laughs.

A fridge, is it?

I chortle.

More like a freezer!

He wheezes, and I grin.

You gonna dip?

He raises an eyebrow.

It's 13°C out here. I think I'll pass.

Fair enough.

As I tread through the ocean, I hear singing.

Mari-morganez!

For context, the mari-morgan are the Brezhoneg equivalent of merfolk, particularly mermaids. They've always been good friends of mine.

I call, mimicking their voices in ululation, and I receive a particularly excited response.

Careful with them!

I know! Efara is apparently among them, though!

Ah, ok! If it's her, she won't lead you into a rock formation, then.

I doubt the mari-morgan of this area would anyway, but it's always good to be cautious.

It's you!

What looks like a phone torch begins waving at me, followed by a few more, illuminating the group. Surely enough, Efara stands among them, hazelnut hair wet with brine.

Tavi! Ma kamarad!

She outstretches her arms, then falters.

Ah ya! The word!

She says the word, and we collide in a damp but blissful embrace.

I've missed you... And here.

She pushes me back very slightly, her hands on my shoulders, giving me a once over.

And we've missed your presence. Will you be staying today?

I look to my Da, and Terrence, and they both nod.

It appears so.

She smiles.

Wonderful. We live just by the bay, so keep your chariot in our garden.

Welcome back to Breizh, our Doue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 - A God, Reaching

266 - A God, Green

300 - A God, Shedding