267 - A God, Glowing

Lin

Guess who has an appointment?

A wren flew into my nemeton today, singing that Boudicca wants to see me.

Of all people, Boudicca?

Strange, isn't it?

Frankly, the very fact that she's asking for me has me worried, but she's given me the Iceni seal as proof, so I can't say that it isn't her.

But that also means she may have found a way to either resurrect herself, or she's somehow been deified by the English pantheon. 

In my opinion, it's most likely to be that she's been deified.

Given that she called upon me of all people, it would not surprise me.

What could she want?

The only thing I can think of is her regaining Iceni land - which would mean that she'd want to reestablish the Iceni kingdom.

Aforementioned situation has led me to Westminster, specifically Victoria Embankment, where the statue of her and her daughters stands. 

Meeting time is supposedly 5pm, which is in a few minutes.

Waiting, I go over the modern territories that would belong to the Iceni now.

Based on what I've found out in my research, Norfolk, Suffolk and the Fens in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire would belong to the Iceni.

However, I definitely need to do more research on those areas.

Not to mention seeing through this meeting to guarantee the next steps I'll be going through with regards to whatever Boudicca requests.

Just as I'm thinking about this, someone gently taps me on the shoulder. I turn, and standing in front of me is a woman with her ginger hair fastened into a plait, blue paint decorating her face, cerulean eyes alight with a combination of mischief, joy and conspiracy.

Boudicca.

She smiles.

Tavi.

I take it that you know about my claiming of Greenwich?

She nods.

You've probably already figured out that's part of why I want to meet with you.

She ushers me into walking with her across Westminster, which I agree to. Our paces begin to match one another's, and I grin.

I have an inkling that you might want to get your Iceni land back.

She smirks.

Getting right down to business, are we?

She takes a swig of cider, offering me a sip, which I consider refusing, before sighing and taking a dram, still smiling.

Yup. I have to, given that myself and a few others are mapping out our own territories. It's like Monopoly on steroids, so I have to watch where I claim and when, and if I do claim places, who I claim them for aside from myself, or who I choose to give them to.

Boudicca nods.

It's a huge responsibility. Even my husband's territories weren't as complex as yours, and the Romans managed to deliberately fuck that up.

They really didn't like the idea of women ruling, did they?

She shakes her head.

Ellia ended up killing her rapist before killing herself, whilst Rellia managed to find herself a Celtic noble for a husband just in time before I died.

But none of it should have happened in the first place, as it was left to both Nero and our daughters. The Romans were greedy bastards, and they left their imprint of greed here.

That's why you need to be the one to rule all this. So that people like world, who were behind all of this bullshit, don't get a taste of power again.

I nod. Of all the people to suffer during Boudicca's rebellion, her daughters definitely suffered the worst - and Ellia's death points to the way in which the Romans looked at us Celts the whole time - as livestock. 

I refuse to let that energy sit on my land any more, nor in my people. We've suffered enough.

What would you like to happen? What can I do that defies what the Romans did, that laughs in their faces?

Boudicca smiles.

I do want the Iceni land back. However, I also want it to be a province of a larger land, for the sake of my descendants, and for the sake of those who live there now. You are the perfect candidate for that, both as one of my descendants and as Head God, as well as being a Gaulish God.

Because of that, people will know you, and will therefore trust you enough to know that they'll be safe in your hands, in case shit really does hit the fan.

She takes my hands in hers.

I want to leave my lands in the hands of the King of Brittany.

The God of Brittany.

Can I do that?

I nod.

They'll be yours and mine.

Norfolk, Suffolk and the Fens, all between us. Minus the fuss.

She grins and offers her arm.

Shake on it?

I take her arm and she takes mine, each of us giving each other a firm shake.

Deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 - A God, Reaching

266 - A God, Green

300 - A God, Shedding